homestead - [Homestead] Eating/Killing

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Eating/Killing
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:14:17 -0400

I am a bit behind in my e mail, no? This moving thing is a drag...

Anyway, Gene, you brought this up and even though I didn't have time to respond earlier, I've been thinking about it. It boils down to, (for me) that you need to eat or die. So eat with the same intention to which you give the other things that are important in your life. There is no right answer all the time.
Locavorism, organic, vegan, veg, cruelty-free, whatever it is that's important to you, that's the best you can do. And I admire other people who can make a strong stand. Other than healthy for my family and some attention to sourcing, my food has not been my overwhelming interest. You only have so much attention to pay. That said, I am grateful to those of my compadres who have gone out and insisted that fresh, healthy, sustainable, organic food is more and more readily available.

The real issue is when people abuse food. Eat to live, and suddenly your choices fall into place.

That said, I had red meat recently for the first time in 4 years. I felt like crud for two days. Just horrible. Stodgy and stuffed and bloated and sleepy. It was horrible. I am glad I caved to my craving because I for sure won't be needing to do that again any time soon.

Celia