homestead - [Homestead] (no subject)

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <DropOut AT yahoogroups.com>, <SurvivingModernSociety AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [Homestead] (no subject)
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 10:08:00 -0500

The below is my response on another list. The original post was by someone
who would like to operate an Intentional community but has found most people
are just looking for a retreat if the world falls apart. They are for the
idea of small communities rather than individuals fighting for the strongest
to survive. I am looking for a middle ground.

We each have our own answers depending upon our individual likes and
dislikes, resources and resourcefulness. I have looked into the IC route
and rejected it as it is mostly a one way street. Most want me for my
skills and tools but I have not found any that I really fit into. I am very
much a loner and chafe against rules and leaders. In any group someone
wants to be a leader and sort of direct things, even in places that make a
big deal of consensus. One of the big reasons I never made it very far up
the corporate ass kissing ladder and dropped out of the whole thing early is
that I just cannot abide people who want to run things and want to cover the
world with rules.

As for locked into a battle of survival with the marauding hordes, I am more
like the guy in the book "Wolf and Iron", I just want to hide away by myself
with my tools and projects. Find a place where no one is going to
accidentally stumble across you then settle in. As long as the larger world
will send little brown trucks here with books and tools ordered on a link to
the world provided by the Internet I will take advantage of it.

Don Bowen KI6DIU

  • [Homestead] (no subject), Don Bowen, 08/01/2008