homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rant

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rant
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 14:14:00 -0800

Well, I suppose we could place some blame on Dumbya <g> After all, if we still had any National Guard around, we'd have had a whole heck of a lot more fire fighters here.

And, yes, the lightning is the cause of the fires. So far, in our valley alone, over 100,000 acres have burned. The fire is about 10-14 miles from our house. Since we are a valley, the smoke sits here.

The total lightning fires in Northern California is 842, and a total for the state of over 1000. Total lost acreage, so far is well over a million burned. In my county alone, there is the Lime Complex fire (109,000 acres), the Iron Complex (over 60,000 acres) and the smaller Hell's Half (15,000 acres).

Then again, we could blame part of it on the Guvanator. <g> He's closed all the prison camps where the low security guys were trained to fight fires. Of course, that made too much sense since it cost 75% less to keep them in the camps and it taught them job skills AND the recid rate was almost nill! Heaven forbid that we do something sensible when it comes to folks that break the law.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

Good grief. Sounds terrible. Unless you are playing a prank--give me a
day and I will tell you how to blame all this on Bush--this sound
apocalyptic for gardeners and more.

Perhaps I missed a post. What is the lightning connection? Are you
connecting all this with the smoke from lightning-caused fires?

If so, which god shall we blame it on?