homestead - Re: [Homestead] Oh, that feels so . . . awful!

  • From: Jerry B <liberty AT kaballero.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Oh, that feels so . . . awful!
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 12:07:44 -0400

I occasionally have severe leg cramps. A few years back, I was sitting on the couch and the major muscle in the upper thighs of both legs cramped. Standing up and trying to walk it off, the pain was so great I passed out briefly and an ambulance was called. In the ER, a blood test was given, and it was determined a low magnesium count was the culprit.

Since then, whenever I have muscle cramps, usually while sleeping, I take a couple magnesium tablets, and they never return again that night. I have tried potassium as well but to no avail. If I am drinking much milk, it seems the condition is aggravated... possibly due to upsetting the calcium/magnesium balance.

Yes, it is usually related to strained muscles from the days activity, but with a preventative dose of magnesium before bed, cramps do not occur. Just my own experience: magnesium, not potassium, does it for me. jerry b

--------

Gene GeRue wrote:
The reason I am posting at two am is to get my mind off the massive leg cramp that just got me staggering out of bed, saying bad things and trying to catch my breath.

Research says potassium deficiency. Gotta be kidding.

Probably just unaccustomed physical use of the body.

If anyone uses the a__ word, I will get even.