homestead - Re: [Homestead] Butternut squash

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Butternut squash
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 17:49:21 -0400

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 5:36 PM, <eureka AT hctc.net> wrote:

> What is an eight-ball squash?

Medium-dark green, small and round like an eight-ball for a pool table. It's
a type of zucchini. If it gets to be softball-size, you let it grow too big
before picking.

I don't recognize many of
> the winter squash types everyone has been listing. We are
> growing Texas Indian Moschata, Hokkaido, and Red Kuri, and
> something called "Red Warty Thing". We've had the Moschata
> keep for two years on a kitchen counter. Do you
> homesteaders recognize any of these or am I from another
> planet?

I've heard of Red Kuri and Moschata, I'm sure it's like everything else in
the vegetable world. There are so many varieties, especially when it comes
to regional and heirlooms. It's fun to discover something new.

Lisa