homestead - Re: [Homestead] Butternut squash

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Butternut squash
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 14:47:17 -0500

On Jul 6, 2008, at 11:38 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

The deal with winter squash is to plant them the very latest you can get by
with. In my climate, now is too early.

That is what my foggy gray was telling me.

The Lady Who Removed The Tick From Gene's Navel and her husband had Don and I up for a good dinner last night. After eating we of course strolled through their garden. Lora has a wonderful planting of butternuts and asked me if she could pick them now. My thinking is you could eat some now if you like but for winter storage they should be taken off the vine as late as possible. But, if planted early, as hers were, they could be pretty tough by the time the vines get nailed by frost.