homestead - [Homestead] Pork Fat

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Pork Fat
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 22:12:19 EDT

On Jul 4, 2008, at 7:18 PM, Lynda wrote:

> Isn't pork fat a rule or something? Seems to me one has to have
> pork fat.

>NO pork parts of any kind are the rule of a very respectable and
>ancient culture.
>Just one culture. Not the Irish for sure.

>The Dalai Llama advises that it is very difficult and not advised
>generally, to change religious cultures.
>Same thing for Pork, I think.

>Roy

Ah, Roy -

Now you have opened the proverbial can of worms - pun intended.
Not being of that particular faith - or any other - I have always believed
that the aversion to pork was health-and-sanitation based, and stemmed from
the
sadly learned experience - in those days before proper refrigeration -
that improperly stored and prepared pork was a source of certain death.

And...how many of us gets to choose our religion, anyway? Just like public
schooling, we are indoctrinated from Day One, to carry on the tradition, and
ensure the continued prosperity of The Establishment.

Sandy
Blissful Atheist
Mid-Mojave

fuel-efficient used cars.