homestead - [Homestead] was Tomatoes now Fennel

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] was Tomatoes now Fennel
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 13:24:42 -0400

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Wendy <crazygardens AT verizon.net> wrote:

> I grow fennel, or rather I allow the fennel volunteers to co-exist
> peacefully in my garden. There are two types of fennel: herb fennel and
> bulb fennel. I have herb fennel. I use the leaves, finely diced, in
> potato
> soup/w rivels (sp?). My fennel gets about 7ft tall in it's second year,
> and
> does not produce much of a bulb. Bulb fennel is a specialty type grown for
> its huge bulbs which are often used like onions but with a completely
> different flavor. I planted my fennel about 9 years ago and it has come up
> all over my garden ever since (I leave the seed heads on over the winter
> for
> this purpose). Fortunately, it does not make a pest of itself.
>
> We have bronze fennel, it is the herb type and not the vegetable. Now that
you made me more aware of it, I think I should attempt to save the seeds.
We've put some of the fronds in salad and casseroles, but never thought
about the seeds. I like the idea (mentioned in the site) of putting fennel
seeds in tomato sauce.
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/foevulgarebronze.htm

lkvp