homestead - Re: [Homestead] New guy saying howdy

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] New guy saying howdy
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:35:15 -0500

On Jun 24, 2008, at 2:23 PM, Douglas wrote:

I am Doug, I've been lurking around reading posts when I can.

Hi Doug. We look forward to hearing of your homesteading adventures in Nicaragua.

I have enjoyed the posts, you all seem like nice folks. I wanted to share
what we used to keep deer at bay; a double fence, 6 foot with a space about
5 feet to the outside fence that is 4 foot. We tried a lot of other ways
with little to no success finally saw this used at a local park to protect a
large rose arbor.

My chicken moat was two five-foot fences six feet apart. Deer never entered the garden. Deer jump high and they jump long, but they do not jump high and long with a single bound, at least not if it is avoidable. They apparently knew instinctively that they would get caught in the middle of the two fences.