homestead - Re: [Homestead] I Just Remembered Why We Got Rid of the Sheep

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] I Just Remembered Why We Got Rid of the Sheep
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:11:32 -0400

On Jun 16, 2008, at 6:16 PM, Lynda wrote:

Arg! I absolutely HATE sheep! And I particularly hate Suffolk!

Lynda,

I dunno anything about Suffolks. But I've lived with and cared for a batch of Catoctins for a year plus. That doesn't qualify me for much of anything but an opinion: I get along with them quite well. Some of them come over to get their cheeks rubbed when I let them out, but the only somewhat objectionable thing about them is their tendency to knock me over as they follow my heels when I have some grain to get them into their shelter. Oh, yes, a couple of the young ones are dumb enough to get separated from the rest and make a ruckus. This sometimes happens at 2 AM when my DW hears them and announces me out of a sound sleep that something's up with the sheep.

Most of our difficulties with the sheep have come directly from bad fencing and gates. The new place is gonna be set up better.

Roy
Novice Shepherd

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net