homestead - [Homestead] Root cellar design

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Root cellar design
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:33:41 -0500

Rob, I think I may have neglected to mention that you might consider a dual-purpose design: root cellar and storm cellar. There is not far from here an old concrete cellar built like that, for going into when tornadic activity is predicted but for food storage most of the year. Door faces downwind, steps down into a hillside for coolth.

Friends here recently purchased a cast concrete structure as a tornado shelter. Serious money.

  • [Homestead] Root cellar design, Gene GeRue, 06/03/2008