homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fencing

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fencing
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 10:02:49 -0500

We were fortunate our country place came with 6 foot and 8 foot high welded pole fencing with "no climb" V and rectangular wire (hog panels on the gates). I'm sure one of the previous owners knew how to weld. I paid to have a small portion done to separate a yard and it was costly, making me realize I have a goldmine in fencing and that I want to learn to weld. This fencing has worked well with our dogs, goat, sheep, and previous owner's horses. If you can do it yourself I'd highly recommend this fence.

In Austin I built my own wooden privacy fence, and it turned out well. I studied the ones that were warping and falling down to determine what not to do. I highly recommend using three rails instead of two, the top and bottom ones to be close to the edge of the pickets (to keep fence from warping), and use a board for a cap (2x8 or 2x10) to keep water off the end grain. A smaller board (1x2) underneath the cap makes a nice reveal if you want aesthetics and covers up the "dog ears" on the pickets. If you don't have a height restriction, run a bottom board horizontally, so if anything rots it you only have one board and not all the pickets to replace! Use screws on the cap board. I put the pretty side in, so the dogs could not climb out, and double faced the portion running along the front so it looked nice, too.

If you have never built a wooden privacy fence before I'd recommend some things from my own learning experience: start in the back first, as your work will greatly improve as you go along; a pnuematic nail gun would be a good investment; if you use an auger to drill the post holes don't work it when you are tired as it's really a pain to have to dig one up you've lodged into the ground.

This fence still looks great after 15 years when I drive by.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 09:49:10 -0400