homestead - [Homestead] Chicken Housing

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Chicken Housing
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 20:32:37 -0500

I'm finally getting around to putting in facilities for chickens at my
still new homestead. In the past I've built nests from wood. I've seen
many mentions of using flat sided buckets as nests, however, and that
idea appeals to me. It seems to me that bucket nests would be really
easy to clean. I've been pondering how to make the nest feel sturdy to
its user - I wonder if she would object if the nest wiggles when she
walks in to lay her egg. Certainly, my wooden nests never did that!
Therefore, I'm thinking I will need to secure the bucket in some
fashion. Nailing it to the hen house would make it immobile, but also
less easy to clean. I have this probably fanciful notion that somehow
I can use buckets as nests that are stable and yet easily removable so
that I can hose them down. I have yet to figure out how to accomplish
these two seemingly divergent goals. Has any amongst us used buckets
as nests? If so, how do you like them? How did you secure them? Have
you figured out a way to make them steady and yet removable for
cleaning?

Thanks!

Gloria