homestead - Re: [Homestead] Reaction to hornet sting

  • From: "Karen L. Black" <karen AT plamondon.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Reaction to hornet sting
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 04:14:34 -0700

WF Smith writes:

> I got stung 30 minutes ago on the pad of my thumb by a japanese hornet.
I've
been stung in the past by everything under the sun with no more than local
effect but I now have huge hives all over my body. I do not have any
antihistamine tablets here at the house and it is so late I couldnt purchase
any if I wanted. My mouth and nose and ears are swelling up.

> My breathing is fine so my question is this, should anyone still be awake-
will the hives pass and should I be concerned about going to sleep?

------------------------------

I am an Emergency Medical Technician volunteer with our local fire
department. Your reaction to this sting is strong and over your whole body,
so the chances are good that you are suffering from anaphylaxis, which is
life-threatening. If I had your symptoms, I'd call 911, or whatever aid you
have in your area. I would certainly not try to drive myself in.

This message is going to come too late for this instance, but if any member
of the list has an allergic reaction of this magnitude, it would behoove him
to get a prescription for an EpiPen or Twinject. Epinepherine is the most
effective emergency treatment for anaphylactic shock
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphylaxis).

Karen Black

  • Re: [Homestead] Reaction to hornet sting, Karen L. Black, 05/23/2008