homestead - Re: [Homestead] Do you have your affairs in order?

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Do you have your affairs in order?
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 07:58:48 -0400

You know what? Because I have been sick no and off for a few years now, I DO have my affairs mostly in order. Certainly it would not be hard to clean up after me, in that sense.

But I think we are well past the tipping point on the planet. I am pretty much in the fiddling whilst Rome burns portion of my mourning. It doesn't mean I've given up trying, but it does mean I've given up feeling it quite so intensely. I can only do the best I can do. I know Ithaca isn't the best place in the world for homesteading, but it certainly is already set up as a well functioning alternative community. I'm going to be able to find what I need, from someone up there.

When I left the homesteading list originally, it was because I did not have the same commitment to doing it by myself that lot of people here do have. (And let me just say, it's admirable, don't anybody go getting their knickers in a knot.) I just feel like we are well past the point where individual options make a difference to long term survival of the community.

As much as I like myself, I like the diversity of a community just as much. For me, securing a place in the post apoplectic web is the real issue.

I didn't meant to ignore your questions about the field. I am just busy busy busy and the truth is, I can't put into words why I know the soil is ok for what I want. I'll work on that shortly.