homestead - Re: [Homestead] Free Range Kids

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Free Range Kids
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 23:05:14 -0800

Oh, I got a giggle out of it. I somehow find it hard to compare *their* children to free range when the whole concept of free range is "not caged." Ah, locked up in a school for 7 hours kinda sounds like being caged to me.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "tom" <tom AT honeychrome.com>

I remember reading an article or book years back when I first
encountered the phrase 'free-range childhood' and thought. "That's
it! That's what I had with my brother and sister, and that's how I
can describe it to people!" I've since had discussions and debates
about the merits of 'free-range childhood' and how increasingly rare
and difficult it must be now. A largely rural, free-range childhood
with a house (houses really, we moved often) full of books is the
greatest gift my parents gave us. Well, love and garden veggies too.