homestead - Re: [Homestead] Free Range Kids

  • From: "WF Smith" <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Free Range Kids
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 00:09:00 -0400

We free ranged, too. At the age of 13 it wouldn't have been uncommon for me
to leave the house on friday after school and spend the weekend out on "the
river", returning on Sunday evening. Somewhere...anywhere- we traveled the
Hillsborough River in Tampa from the Rowlett Park Dam up to where it was no
longer navigable on an assortment of craft from a raft we poled with bamboo
to jon-boats. We caught or speared fish and sold them to people fishing from
the banks, used that money for gasoline or tins of tuna, which allowed us to
go catch more fish. We encountered people and situations that would cause my
parents hair to fall out if I told them, even today, but they had already
prepared us to do what was prudent, right and sensible, and somehow we
survived.

Warren