homestead - Re: [Homestead] Blueberry plantings

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Blueberry plantings
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:26:16 -0400

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> Garden Calendar entries:
> 2/29/08: Ordered four two-year-old blueberry plants from Waters
> Blueberry Farm, Smithville, MO (http://www.watersblueberryfarm.com/):
> 2 early-season "Duke,", 1 mid-season "Bluecrop," and 1 late-season
> "Elliott" priced at $15 each, over $60 gets free shipping.
> 4/30/08: Three blueberry plants arrived.

Interesting that you ordered from Waters after our discussion. I did not. We
just picked up six plants locally on 4/28, ours are Blueray and Bluecrop. We
currently have 40+ unidentified Blue Somethings and Patriots (1/3 & 2/3) and
wanted to fill in holes in the first two rows (we have four rows that
parallel the fenced garden between the house and the barn). We really need
to plant another dozen or so after this half-dozen, but one step at a time.
Former owner planted those in the field and could not recall which Blue
variety they were.

By looking at your instructions from Waters, I need to pick up more peat
moss.

Here in sw VA (zone 5b give or take) the Patriots ripen first June 20-23 but
we're done picking all the bushes usually by July 4th to July 10th.

When we bought this place I had to sketch out a garden map of the fruit
trees to write down the names of each plant variety and the particulars. To
this day I don't know all the varieties of apple trees on this place--there
are few duplicates.

Turned over one raised bed and another large bed that was tilled a year ago.
Cut up the potatoes to let them dry out. Dug the 'ditch' for the potatoes.
There should be no sleep issues tonight.

Thought it was interesting that you add calcium to broccoli to help it grow
and that it ends up being a good source of calcium.

Lisa