homestead - Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:15:46 EDT

Lynda -

I read your post and put it aside for a while so I could think about it.

I am lucky to have been blessed with the world's most liberal, fair-minded
parents and siblings. Never mind anyone beyond immediate family - one
staunch
religious group on one side, and another devout buncha folks on the other.
We
were never encouraged to take their rigid, biased thinking into account.

Is Gone With the Wind an entertaining movie? I s'pose it is - I know the
story, but have never seen it. Not just because I haven't gotten to the point

yet that I consider cinema to be an 'art form' - but it's pure and simple
fiction. The term 'stylized' comes to mind...the same as drawing two curves
and a
straight line, and calling it a fish. Is Jeff Foxworthy funny? On the
surface, yeah. But there's a sad undercurrent that's demeaning and
small-minded -
and leaves a bad taste in my mental mouth.

It's too bad that there's money, and it's too bad that there's politics (one
and the same, most of the time), because they disallow us the opprotunity to
sit down and look back, and fix things on a simple human level before we
plunge into the future armed with just lots and lots of preconceived notions
that are not only hurtful, but that might determine - and wrongly - our
future
as a nation.

Take a good look and tell me - what do you think are the chances of this
happening again?

Sandy
Mid-Mojave

listings at AOL Autos.