homestead - Re: [Homestead] Buckwheat

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Buckwheat
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:31:49 -0400

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 3:18 PM, roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
wrote:

> i have a friend who's garden grows up in real weeds every year and he gets
> the best tomatoes out of it still. i suspect maybe the bugs can't find them
> because they're so well hidden in the weeds, lol.

I've one leftover raised bed that isn't earmarked. It's a small one but
buckwheat could be my 2008 experiment.

As far as the weeds, that's how we save almost all of the blueberries for us
and we discovered by accident. The previous owners told us to expect to get
half the berries, they still had strips of reversible red/silver bird scare
tape woven through the bushes that did not work. But letting the weeds grow
waist high did wonders. Now we purposely do not mow near the blues until we
begin picking and only then a walking path. I pick blueberries in late June
and early July wearing sandals w/ socks, jeans, a tank top w/ a flannel
shirt buttoned at the waist to avoid scratchy weeds and wasps or hornets.

Lisa