homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Freecycle Farm

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Freecycle Farm
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:22:17 -0500

I joined a couple of free cycle programs in relatively nearby cities,
in a burst of good will. The "close" town is about 20 miles away. The
other is about 40 miles away. Thus far I haven't posted anything on
either list. I'm a little leery about having someone come out to my
place to get my junk, if they wanted to drive to get it. First, almost
no one can ever find my place - I give directions that are complete
with critical landmarks, but city people don't comprehend the need to
write down the landmarks, figuring the "streets" will be
self-explanatory, and so people invariably end up lost and calling me
(IF their cell phone works out here, which most don't). So, knowing
this about the difficulty of finding my place, luring city folks out
here with freebies does not seem a wise use of my time. Second, I have
some concern about having a complete stranger come to my house to get
freebies and potentially case the place for an uninvited return trip -
probably a paranoid view, but it has crossed my mind.

The few times I've perused the offerings, there is no way I would
drive 40 miles round trip (or 80) to get it. I'm sure the lists are
great for town folks, but I have doubts about it for myself. Never say
never - I suppose I may end up giving something away through it one of
these days.

Gloria