homestead - Re: [Homestead] American manufacturing

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] American manufacturing
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:28:24 -0400

We had this discussion at work just last week as one of my boss' peers is doing just that, buying a rosin ester plant in China. Capitalism in China is not capitalism in the states, and it's not quite the picture you or rather PJ is painting, but it has its advantages in that there is no nimby atmosphere, no EPA, no real labor laws like in the US, so it is easier to make a profit, but in general, it is a smaller profit, unless, like your friend, you own multiple plants in multiple locations so you can parse out work to plants that make the most financial sense.

Bev

Gene GeRue wrote:
One more thing and I am done with this for today:

One of my Phoenix real estate clients was the CEO and co-owner of a steel extrusion manufacturing business headquartered in Michigan. He also had two other plants, the one in Phoenix being why he wanted a condo there for use by various company officials.

At the time I was working with him, PJ was traveling to China on a regular basis. He was hoping to open a manufacturing plant there for various economic reasons, steel out of Australia being one. I am no longer in touch with him but I suspect that by now he has a manufacturing plant there. So the plant workers are there, but profits are coming to America and partially paying his and other managers' salaries. And if they manufacture some specialty item there that gets shipped here, then of course it will show as "Made in China."

In this global economy, there are considerations about which most of us are completely ignorant. And that certainly includes me. Seems to me we are being manipulated by politicians and media. The truth, ah, the truth . . . .