homestead - Re: [Homestead] American manufacturing

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] American manufacturing
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 06:53:27 -0500

On Apr 19, 2008, at 10:28 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

Capitalism in
China is not capitalism in the states, and it's not quite the picture
you or rather PJ is painting, but it has its advantages in that there is
no nimby atmosphere, no EPA, no real labor laws like in the US, so it is
easier to make a profit, but in general, it is a smaller profit, unless,
like your friend, you own multiple plants in multiple locations so you
can parse out work to plants that make the most financial sense.

I might have elaborated more. (I knew I was tired, but I didn't know how tired--I just now awoke after nine-and-a-half hours of solid sleep.) The primary reason PJ built a plant in China is because that is where his greatest unserved demand existed. By building his plant there he would get raw material closer to the sales point and would have to move the finished product a far shorter distance to his customers. And, yes, the regulations on setting up and running a plant are much less stringent there. And then there are much lower labor costs.

Bill Clinton warned Americans to be flexible, that they would be changing jobs many times throughout their working lives. I wonder how many listened and believed, and more, how many got themselves ready.