homestead - [Homestead] impact craters

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] impact craters
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:30:23 -0400

Speaking of impact events and craters...you guys know what the largest known crater in the US is??

35 million years ago, a 1-2 mile wide asteroid strikes the East Coast of the US and creates the beginning of what we know today as Chesapeake Bay. It created a mega-tsunami over 2000 ft tall. Of course the advance and retreat of glaciers during multiple ice ages helped, too, but when you are talking about what the earth is like underground, the fracturing from that impact still can be seen.
If you live near there in VA, you may have heard that there are pockets of salty water in the groundwater. That was formed during the impact.
The movie "Deep Impact" kind of modeled it's mega-tsunami on what it might have been like, so if you have trouble imagining, you can watch that movie. Of course, the movie had the impact off shore, whereas the bay meteorite would have vaporized everything for hundreds of miles before the tsunami washed everything away.
That article I sent talking about oil in those impact fracture zones makes a lot of sense.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky

  • [Homestead] impact craters, EarthNSky, 04/19/2008