homestead - [Homestead] Brussels Sprouts

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Brussels Sprouts
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 23:05:24 EDT

This question was asked on this list some time ago to no avail. Perchance
there is new blood here now that might have a clue. Perchance.

Today I transplanted a bed of brussels sprouts. Almost all the brussels
sprouts I've grown have been pretty much a dismal failure and more's the
pity. I
am really fond of them.

The plants grow fine, lush, tall. And the set on plenty of sprouts .... but
the sprouts are as loose as little tufts of collards.

How does one grow those stone hard brussels sprouts??

Last year I though I had some decent ones on the way but the drought weakened
the plants and then they were beset by the thrice cursed harlequin bugs that
finished them off.

I'd heard that sprouts will set on loose heads if they are grown in loose
ground. This year I planted half of the in the hardest ground available
(it's
getting scarce in the garden as the soil is developed). But I wonder about
the
advice. It's suppose to hold true for other brassicas as well, and regularly
grow nicely hard cabbage heads and those are often on very loose ground.

Anyone have any ideas??
</HTML>