homestead - [Homestead] Compost

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Compost
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 18:02:09 -0400

Hey Gang,

I turned over our compost bins today. Saw lots of fat earthworms that looked
happy to me. We must have 3+ large wheelbarrow loads of loamy, dark brown,
good smelling compost to use that had been cooking under the surface. This
is our first batch. Whoo-hoo! Energized to start a new bin.

We didn't give the bins our best efforts the last few years, turned them
once or twice between spring and fall. Added dry leaves in the fall and the
usual kitchen refuse (including copious amounts of egg shells and coffee
grounds w/ an unbleached filter) regularly throughout the year.

I know you guys regularly produce compost and this is old hat to you. While
it's no miracle, it feels miraculous all the same. Felt like the feeling I
always had when I gathered eggs, like a thrill, even though it was something
I did every day.

There's hope for me yet as a gardener.

Lisa