homestead - [Homestead] Patching the hell hole

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Patching the hell hole
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:48:39 -0400

Once upon a time, SNL did a skit where Dan Akroyd played Bob Vila from This Old House, and they went down in the basement and there, according to Dan, was the "common ordinary hellhole" that needed patching...lol...

Well, we had a moment like that last night. In remodeling the bathroom, we are replacing the bathtub with a shower. Well, when we finally moved the cast iron tub, lo and behold, there it was, our very own common ordinary hellhole in the floor. We could see the pipes and the dirt in the crawlspace below. It was nasty-looking, directly out of a horror flick. Floor and subfloor gone, joint partially rotted...SCARY.

I've been documenting the whole thing with pix that one day I will assemble to tell the story, but for now, we lost a whole day on this project to patching the hell hole. ;)
(When we bought the house 10 years ago, one of the first things we did-first week in fact, was replace some of the fixtures in the bathroom, and this stopped the leaking, but the damage had been done.)
Oh well, it ain't a project if you finish on time...

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky