homestead - Re: [Homestead] James Adams on HBO

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] James Adams on HBO
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:35:10 -0400

On Mar 19, 2008, at 4:18 PM, Bunjov AT aol.com wrote:

Celia! I would GIVE UP my satellite TV for a rainy afternoon!

Sandy
Mid-Mojave

True story:

A woman I was acquainted with was doing her PhD at Syracuse in Anthropology. She was on a summer field trip among the Myans in the Yucatan, Mexico. It was the end of the summer, and she'd settled on the dry mud among the other women watching Don Carlos, the medicine man, do a rain dance. She'd been making notes in her ever present notebook about the dance and incantations that Don Carlos was doing:

" ... Don Carlos is dancing in a rough circle, doing an incantation in very old Myan while all the village is assembled in a big circle. I can catch an occasional word that's similar to the modern language, but I'm distracted from that as notice that many of the women are pulling their scarves up over their heads. I shield this notebook from the drops because beginning to sprinkle.

MY GOD... Don Carlos is making it RAIN!!! "

Roy