homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gentle Reminder

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gentle Reminder
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:45:33 -0400

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> At 3/6/2008, you wrote:
> >Quickly walking around the house thinking "What do I need to take in case
> >the house burns down?" was humbling, yet there was very little we
> needed.
>
> Having been through this twice I can understand. What do you grab is a
> real question.

> The house was spared mostly because I had used some firescapping around
> the house. It also had a fire proof roof, double paned windows, and stucco
> eves.

Our house has a tin roof, but the woods on the west side is only 30-35' feet
from the house. We had a couple of the tallest and closest trees & shrubs on
that side knocked down (salvaged) when we built the addition, previously the
home had shrubs & trees almost next to it.

> It was an education about what to take and what to leave. We later
> reorganized things with all important papers in a single drawer of a filing
> cabinet and pictures that were not on the wall in another. We also has some
> important pictures copied and the copies on the wall while the rest were in
> the filing cabinet. We wanted to get a fire proof safe but they are
> expensive.

You (and Gene) had some good advice. I'm still in process w/ our photos. I
remember your brush w/ fire, at least the second one.