homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gentle Reminder

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gentle Reminder
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 15:27:06 -0700

On Mar 6, 2008, at 2:49 PM, Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

I have neglected the pictures I store on my computer which would have been a
melted pile of plastic and metal had the worst occurred, so taking care of
4+ years of digital photos is now a top priority. Also on the list is making
copies of important documents in a "Take This" file. Add to that a List of
what to take to aid a frazzled brain in times of crisis.

Whew! Happy to know you and yours are all safe, Lisa.

Used to be every winter it was almost a case of which old house burned because of a wood flu not well built or well maintained or burning all the Christmas wrappings or other stupidity. Seems to be improving in that regard.

This new Mac has a program called Time Machine, which is an automatic backup, every hour forever. The external hard drive is just a grab from being tossed into the getaway vehicle. With over a thousand photos, not to mention a book and much more on the hard drive, it would be a sad loss to have it all cremated. With this new backup system I don't worry much, but if the house burned while I was away, sad, sad, sad. The best backup is off site.