homestead - [Homestead] compost

  • From: keith bellinger <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] compost
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:37:40 -0400

It has been twenty-nine months since we sold the two milk cows and butchered the last calf. They will never be forgotten but springtime always refreshes the memories of what they gave us when I back the truck up to the big pile of compost between barn and coop to replenish the garden. Four half-ton truckloads or more each year give the garden beds two or three inches of topping after I fork and rake. I estimate thirty tons are left and so should last until I turn sixty-six. What will I do for the following forty years?