homestead - Re: [Homestead] compost

  • From: keith bellinger <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] compost
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:24:14 -0400

Bill Jones wrote:

If you sprinkle on some soaked alfalfa pellets before you put the topping on, I'm sure you could stretch that manure a lot further. That seems like a lot of manure to apply every year. There's even a problem you can get by overmanuring, small bugs known as symphylans.

Thanks for the tip Bill. Because the pile is more hay, sawdust and wood shavings than manure it more than likely will need added nitrogen. The last time I tested was three years ago. I will make it a point to check it again before spreading it on the garden. Also, I don't generally add it directly to the garden but first re-compost it behind the garden for a month or so while I prepare the beds.