homestead - Re: [Homestead] Question about the Amish

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Question about the Amish
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 07:41:02 -0700

On Mar 1, 2008, at 7:02 PM, paxamicus AT earthlink.net wrote:

i've found a couple of towns that have a lot of what I like and in two
of them I am seeing a number of Amish farms on the market.

What would make the Amish sell up? Gentrification? Taxes? Water
supply? Neighbour issues? How do you think I could find out?

Again, you appear to be resistant to direct contact.

I was once contacted by an agent for the Amish. They were looking for a very large parcel to start a new community. What happens to them is that fathers split the family farm up into pieces for each son. Two or three generations of such splitting and they no longer have large enough individual farms for a couple to make a living.