homestead - Re: [Homestead] east-west/north-south ?

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] east-west/north-south ?
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:53:51 -0800

Wow, a local! Hot diggity!

My blueberries have grown very little in 10 years. I'm starting some new ones in raised beds. I wouldn't change a thing for your raspberries. I think you also have found the key to blueberries: consistent irrigation. Good luck! Bill

Margaret L. Wilson wrote:

Bill, I am in the Illinois Valley so I know that I am in a hotter area here
than you are on the coast. My whole planting area is going to be pretty much
redone this year. The berries, raspberries and a few blueberries, are
planted in north-south rows. It would be a major job but not impossible to
orient them east-west. Should I do this or is it not that important? The
raspberries get about 6'-8' tall and produce like crazy. In December I cut
them all back to about 6 inches tall so I could thin them out and transplant
the excess. The blueberries are not doing as well as I would like. I need
to redo the irrigation for them and give them more consistent water.
Thanks.

Margaret
http://farfarawayfarm.blogspot.com/

Where I live in Oregon I'd go with east-west, since I'm paranoid about the shade factor. Where you live it might be so hot that exposed blueberries aren't nearly as happy.

Bill
S. Oregon coast