homestead - [Homestead] east-west/north-south ?

  • From: "Margaret L. Wilson" <booldawgs AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] east-west/north-south ?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:04:26 -0800

Bill, I am in the Illinois Valley so I know that I am in a hotter area here
than you are on the coast. My whole planting area is going to be pretty much
redone this year. The berries, raspberries and a few blueberries, are
planted in north-south rows. It would be a major job but not impossible to
orient them east-west. Should I do this or is it not that important? The
raspberries get about 6'-8' tall and produce like crazy. In December I cut
them all back to about 6 inches tall so I could thin them out and transplant
the excess. The blueberries are not doing as well as I would like. I need
to redo the irrigation for them and give them more consistent water.
Thanks.

Margaret
http://farfarawayfarm.blogspot.com/

Where I live in Oregon I'd go with east-west, since I'm paranoid about
the shade factor. Where you live it might be so hot that exposed
blueberries aren't nearly as happy.

Bill
S. Oregon coast