homestead - [Homestead] Catalytic converter notes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Catalytic converter notes
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:39:46 -0700

My '99 Toyota Tacoma puddle jumper Check Engine light came on. Took it to the Phoenix dealer who charged me ninety-five dollars to tell me the catalytic converter needs replacement. Estimate is nearly twelve hundred dollars. I called the Toyota dealer service manager in West Plains, Missouri, for whom I have high regard. He says they will do the same job for just over eight hundred dollars. Being frugal and having many building projects waiting for dollars, I pressed on. He says no harm will be done to the engine if the converter is not replaced. There will only be the annoyance of the light staying on. As I intend to register the truck in Missouri, which has no smog requirements, that is the option I choose.

He also divulged that he cannot legally remove the converter but that some muffler shops will do that, sans service ticket.

Anyone have experience?