homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bats

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bats
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 07:30:56 -0700

On Feb 12, 2008, at 6:22 PM, WF Smith wrote:

Should I take down my bat houses? They have afforded myself and innumerable
kids much entertainment.

I would not. If anything, I would build more. Bats are good guys and without them the insect population would be much greater. I think of bats and amphibians as environmental indicators, like canaries in mines. Bat health problems are likely due to humans fouling the environment. They are in much greater danger from us than we are from them.

A while back we were talking about diseases and bats...could it have
arrived in the US?

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jglXh1LrwpTZZW0QjCD_H91BgVY
wD8UGF9101