homestead - Re: [Homestead] The demise of cider

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The demise of cider
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 16:33:07 -0700

On Jan 19, 2008, at 2:21 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

After juicing some apples, I decided to research cider and came across
this interesting piece:

http://mason.gmu.edu/~drwillia/cider.html

Well-written piece. My perspective is that the writer proposes the wrong question. The correct question is why does cider drinking persist in such countries as Canada and Great Britain that have unhindered access to beer? As with wine, when one drinks quite a bit, the palate becomes cloyed. Those who drink little wine tend to drink sweeter stuff; aficionados drink more dry wine. Beer, being by comparison bitter, is the predictable ultimate choice.