homestead - Re: [Homestead] Electrolytic Derusting (or molasses?)

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Electrolytic Derusting (or molasses?)
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 09:59:48 -0800 (PST)

Has anyone tried a molasses solution for derusting? I
read about this in a steam engine restorers site. I
first tried a little with grocery store molasses.
from 1/4 to 1/10 molasses in water seems to work.
Later on I got some molasses feed at the MFA and tried
it on a larger scale. Still don't know why or how it
works.
I cleaned with detergent but thanks Don for the TSP
idea, will try that.
Van Dell