homestead - Re: [Homestead] Electrolytic Derusting

  • From: Don Bowen KI6DIU <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Electrolytic Derusting
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:19:52 -0800

At 12/21/2007, you wrote:
My setup is a plastic trashcan, 12 volt battery charger, a 4 foot
piece of 1 inch steel pipe, and a box of baking soda. I have the
positive attached to the steel pipe and the negative attached to the
rusted hood of my tractor and all soaking in the trashcan. I am very
happy with the results. I was planning on sand blasting but some
folks on another list suggested this.

it works well. You do get a black coating but that is easily removed by scrubbing. Take the part out of the tank, scrub clean, and dry. Then coat it with something because the nice clean metal will start rusting right away. Your tank will fill with a disgusting looking foam and sediments will settle tot be bottom. This is noting but the ferric oxide you wanted rid of so disposal is no problem. Also TSP works well and sometimes I just used tap water.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com