homestead - Re: [Homestead] Roasted Peanuts

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Roasted Peanuts
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:04:57 EST

> Home roasting is easy.

It is indeed. We get a peanut crop one year in perhaps three. This year the
drought put the kybosh on that in a hurry.

One thing I'd add, if your peanuts are really mature and you have dried them
well before oven roasting them, have a care! You can reach the criteria for
extracting the peanut oil and peanuts have a LOT of it. It's top notch
cooking
oil if you get it, it needs to be frozen or refrigerated because, being
natural, it will rancify. But if you have the peanuts on shallow cookie
sheets or
such, they can actually fill with oil and overflow.

Had it happen once.

Not fun.

James </HTML>