homestead - Re: [Homestead] woodstove/newsprint

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] woodstove/newsprint
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:39:14 -0500

We don't subscribe to a paper, but we do get the 4 page weekly local free circular along with the assorted fast food coupons. I separate my trash basically into burnable trash and disposable trash. Once a week or so, Ron takes the bag of disposables to work to the dumpster, and the rest we burn or recycle on the homestead. A few years back, we made a burn unit to avoid using burn barrels. It is like a BBQ pit, about 4x4, made of cinderblocks, with a cinderblock smoke stack that is about 7 feet tall. It is open at the bottom front-about 6" to provide air.There is a grate in the bottom, a baffle over the flue, and multiple layers of wire screening in the flue to break up ashes as they tend to fly away. We did this to eliminate the worry of accidentally starting a fire in the woods, and to allow us to burn trash even when it is too windy or raining. It has worked great for us. I burn boxes, paper, junk mail, personal papers, etc. About twice a year, I shovel out the ashes through the hole in the bottom and place them over PVC water lines or in holes in the yard. I use fireplace ashes in the compost bin or in my raised beds. I have also used ashes to fill holes and cover water lines that were shallow. The chickens love dusting in them.

Bev

eureka AT hctc.net wrote:
I prefer reading my news online, but my husband can't live without the real thing. Our neighbors (yes, the ones that obliterated most of their trees) give us their paper when they are done with it, and after we are finished and a sufficient stack has collected, I take them to a local business that uses them as packing material.

We do, however, burn our junk mail, cereal boxes, etc. with color inks as kindling in our fireplace, as we don't want to compost them, they aren't accepted as recyclables in our area, and we have to haul our own trash and pay per bag. Since we don't get too cold down here (first freeze was last night!), sometimes this and a few small logs are enough for us. So far, I have used the ash on the lawn but not the garden.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:18:13 -0600