homestead - Re: [Homestead] woodstove/newsprint

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] woodstove/newsprint
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:09:21 -0600

I prefer reading my news online, but my husband can't live without the real thing. Our neighbors (yes, the ones that obliterated most of their trees) give us their paper when they are done with it, and after we are finished and a sufficient stack has collected, I take them to a local business that uses them as packing material.

We do, however, burn our junk mail, cereal boxes, etc. with color inks as kindling in our fireplace, as we don't want to compost them, they aren't accepted as recyclables in our area, and we have to haul our own trash and pay per bag. Since we don't get too cold down here (first freeze was last night!), sometimes this and a few small logs are enough for us. So far, I have used the ash on the lawn but not the garden.

--Sage
Way Out in Texas

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:18:13 -0600