homestead - [Homestead] New rock (for me) found

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] New rock (for me) found
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:51:21 -0600

Digging out the hillside for the metal barn has provided insight into what lies beneath the surface here in south-central Missouri, about fifteen miles north of the Missouri-Arkansas border.

Yesterday I found a chunk of rock that the backhoe had broken off a larger rock. Very lightweight, highly porous, orangish in color. I brought it to the house and hosed it somewhat clean. It took me some time before I realized that I was almost certainly looking at coral. Yet more proof that this uplift was at one time beneath a great inland sea.

Now looking for photos on the Web, to more closely identify what it is.