homestead - Re: [Homestead] Oil prices

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Oil prices
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 22:41:12 EDT

(Marie)
> Time to see that you have plenty of wood laid in (and something to
> burn it in that will heat the house).

Check.

>Oil closed today at $89.46, a new record
>while the dollar continued its plunge against the Euro to $1.4286.

Don, while I agree that this is a sure sign to get the homestead in order,
the two have something to do with one another. In the past the Saudis have
matched US interest rates to keep the petro in the petro-dollar. This time
they
didn't, would have been fools to do so. So some of the increase in oil
prices
is actually a decrease in the value of the dollar. Not that that does us any
good.

>(Gene)Seems to me that OPEC will move to restrain accelerating prices to
dissuade accelerated research into alternative energy sources.

IF they could. However if OPEC is at near peak capacity now, as some
suggest, they can't significanly increase production and therefore have no
power to
restrain anything. Not only that, OPEC knows full well that all the
alternate
energy in the world doesn't add up to a tiny fraction of the oil used each
day.

</HTML>