homestead - Re: [Homestead] If any wish could come true

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] If any wish could come true
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:37:50 -0400

On 10/2/07, VATOCO6 AT aol.com <VATOCO6 AT aol.com> wrote:

> My husband and I have done our best to raise children we like as well as
> love.

Wow, Tammy, what amazing kids you have. We have tried to home school all
these years, but oldest son really wanted to go to high school in spring of
Sophomore year, so we let him. Now he's back home and we're home schooling
(somewhat) his fall semester of Sr. year while he's finishing the online
work to get his driver's license. He did well in p.s. but there isn't enough
space to go into why we're glad he's back home instead of in school. He
begins at a community college next semester (part-time) and will take his
GED exam in March when he's 18. We really missed him when he was in school.
We also had a heck of a time confirming to public school hours and missed
the flexibility of scheduling our own lives instead of letting p.s. schedule
your life for you (but that isn't why he's home).

We've told both of our kids that they are welcome to live here behind high
school. We are not showing either of them the door (as my husband parents
did w/ him), but if they choose to go, then that will be. We don't think
oldest son will be ready to go to a university and live on campus by next
fall, but he could surprise us. We see him working part-time and attending
part-time while living at home, but time will tell. He doesn't yet show much
interest in college and is somewhat considering a trade. Mostly he's not
sure at all what he wants to do--and I recall being there myself at 17, and
though I've figured out what I don't want to do, I haven't yet found my
calling at 45 though I'm getting close.

Youngest son is home schooling 6th/7th grade and doing well. Yesterday we
finished at 3 pm!
Have a good day everyone.

Lisa
sw VA