homestead - Re: [Homestead] If any wish could come true

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] If any wish could come true
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 01:04:21 -0500

On 10/2/07, Lynda <lurine AT softcom.net> wrote:

> I just really HATE those Staples commercials. Everyone seems to think they
> are funny and I just think they are sad! Why have kids if you can't wait to
> send them off to school. Doesn't anyone enjoy the company of their kids?

My mother truly did, and we ended up with other people's kids a lot.
Had home schooling been invented back then, she would have gone for
it. She liked us around, and told us so on many occasions. For several
years, we could count on the partners of gay kids that my sisters went
to high school with at the table on all major holidays. Mom, to the
end, was a right-wing Republican (though it wasn't natural to her...
but it's a long story), but she figured everyone needed a seat at the
table for holidays.

In retrospect, her liking us as well as loving us was one of the
biggest gifts she gave us. We all grew up thinking we counted.

That notion of liking one's kids isn't extinct. I know quite a few
people who have that relationship with their children. The kidlets are
turning out real well too. Surprise?

Marie