homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cover crop

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cover crop
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 07:26:09 -0700

On Aug 13, 2007, at 6:41 AM, Don Bowen wrote:

What I am looking for here is something that will help
break up the soil a bit in the root zone.

I remember dealing with California adobe soil. During the driest and hottest time of the year, like now, big cracks would open up in the ground. For those not familiar, think mini earthquake fissures. Those are bigger cracks than roots will create, for sure. Perhaps one could dump tough organic stuff down into those cracks and then water, which would break up the soil as it expands against the material.

Above that there are things that
can be done to make decent soil but that is not something I will be
doing. I would rather be building up my own garden.

Well, in the meantime, you can practice at Heartwood. I will be there Thursday and then until cold weather makes it too uncomfortable to work outside.