homestead - Re: [Homestead] Writing for sanity

  • From: clhw AT infoave.net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Writing for sanity
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 22:09:49 -0400

Hi, Bev! Good to hear you checking in. Things have been very hectic here
and I don't have the employment reason you do.

We're about the same as you on dryness. Just north of us, they have had
some rain. Last week, we complained to the 9-1-1 system about someone
burning and having smoke in the air to breathe. We were told it was a
controlled burn in Georgia of about 2000 acres. So, this morning, when the
smoke returned, husband called the forestry people. This time he was told
it was NOT a controlled burn which was coming here at all. It was the
wildfires in south Georgia. That something had changed with the higher
winds to bring the smoke more north and east than south and east. They said
the visibility in McCormick County, South Carolina (about 30 miles south of
us) was near 0 this morning.

We're seeing some trees which are stressed. This week end, we went down to
Columbia to visit with elder son, his wife and son, as well as younger son
who just returned from the Phillipines without his finacee. The word is
that it may take another month for all the test, paper work,etc. Anyway,
just west of Lexington, there is a good-sized peach orchard which comes
right up to the road. Usually, I have trouble with pesticides blowing off
it. This time, no sprays, and I could not see any peaches at all. The trees
were leafed out, and looking fairly healthy (irrigation, maybe?) but no
fruit visible. I don't know if I should be able to see it from the distance
at this point. But I wasn thinking, "This is scary." We had almost no
pecans on our 10 or so trees this past fall.
Lynn