homestead - [Homestead] Writing for sanity

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Writing for sanity
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 18:54:59 -0400

I bet you guys thought I had dropped off the Earth; I suppose in some ways, I have. As I approach the two month mark on working off the farm, things aren't much better than day one and there is no end in sight to the insanity of it all. I long for the days of relative relaxation, working in the garden, feeding the birds, mending the fence, etc. I have no personal time anymore, as I come in, fix dinner, clean up, study, and go to bed. Weekends have been just as crazy, with my parents moving(moving prep, moving, yard sales, etc.), housework, and other necessary chores and projects.
I still have a garden, at least for now. The last time we got any rain to register in the rain gauge was back at the end of March, and the ground is cracking already. We haven't had enough rain to even wet the deck, so little that calling it a trace seems to be an exaggeration. I have hand watered my corn and tomatoes, just enough to keep them alive, but with weather this dry, I am watching the well closely. Rainwater supplies are gone. I soaked some green beans in preparation for planting, but when I went out there, even my raised monster beds were dry 1 foot down into the bed. I planted the beans in the raised beds anyway, but the ground was so hard that I thought it a waste of time to try to plant in the ground. Of course, there will be no fruit this year due to that cold snap we had back in March when we had a hard freeze at a crucial time. That, combined with the lack of rain, has really put a hurt on many plants, even the established trees.
We had a forest fire on the other side of the ridge a few weeks ago-that was scary-my worst fear, but so far most people are playing it smart and not burning. Today, all of north Georgia is covered with smoke from the fires in South Georgia over 300 miles away. It's so thick that I can barely make out the horses in a pasture 1000 feet away.
Well, I thought I would drop in and say hi while the rice/jambalaya cooks down...to my steadfast friends who have written but received no personal answer, I am sorry...I love and miss you all..

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.